Koon’s Curriculum Vitae (CV)Date of birth: 6th Jan. 1933
Educational qualification:Highest educational qualification: MICE, Chartered Civil Engineer.
Highest professional achievement:
- Member of Malaysian Board of Engineers for 3 terms of 2 years each term, maximum as permitted by law.
- Chairman of the discipline committee for professional practice and an examiner for Malaysian candidates for the British Chartered Civil Engineer qualification.
- Member of the drafting committee for the conditions of construction contracts which is being used on all construction contracts.
- Member responsible for drafting the Malaysian Standard for Cement and Concrete in SIRIM- Malaysian Standard Institution.
- Secretary General of the Malaysian Master Builders Association for 9 years.
- Written and published a book in 2012: Malaysia: Road Map for Achieving Vision 2020.
Working experience:1957-1962 Engineer for Public Works Department, now known as JKR.
1962- 1967 Engineering Consultant Practice
1967- 1983 Co-Founded Mudajaya Group Bhd, Gamuda Bhd and IJM Corporation Bhd. These are the 3 leading listed construction and property developing companies in Malaysia.
Investing in the stock market:I started share investment in 1983 when the Hong Kong stock market crashed when China gave notice to recover the sovereignty of Hong Kong after 99 years lease. Within 3 years I made so much money that I bought 46% of a stock brokering firm called Kaiser Stocks and Shares Co HK Ltd.
Since retirement as Director of IJM Corporation Bhd in 1998, I became a full-time investor. After 36 years of practise in share investment, I have discovered among all the criteria such as NTA, healthy accounts, cash flow and debts, the most important and powerful catalyst to move share price is profit growth prospect.
KYY Golden Rule for share selectionMy Golden Rule for share selection is that the company must report 2 consecutive quarters of increased profit and the share price should not exceed P/E 10.
Charity:Have given scholarships to more than 300 poor students to help them complete their tertiary education in Malaysia.
Over the years I have accumulated a lot of knowledge and wealth which I wish to share to benefit the people.
I have written in my will that 80% of all my remaining assets will be donated to charity.