Opus Asset Management has a track record of more than 14 years in fund management industry, and is specialized in fixed income investment.
They used to offer wholesale funds for the sophisticated investors (i.e. rich people) with minimum investment starting from RM50,000.
Recently, they have launched 3 unit trust funds targeted for ordinary investors with minimum investment starting from a much lower RM1,000.
The 3 unit trust funds are:
- Opus Income Plus Fund (IPF) which is a kind of bond fund seeks to achieve higher returns than Maybank 12-month fixed deposit rate over the medium to long term, while preserving capital and providing an opportunity for income.
- Opus Money Plus Fund (MPF) which is a kind of money market fund seeks to achieve higher returns than 1-month fixed deposit rate and to provide liquidity while preserving capital.
- Opus Shariah Income Plus Fund (SIPF) which is a kind of sukuk fund seeks to achieve higher returns than Maybank 12-month Islamic fixed deposit rate over the medium to long term, while preserving capital and providing an opportunity for income.
Therefore, they can be used as alternative to fixed deposit savings. They have the following advantages over fixed deposit:
- You can withdraw your invested money either partially or in whole at any time, without those restrictions as imposed to fixed deposit.
- You can potentially earn a higher return than fixed deposit rate. In fact, the MPF is pretty safe with minimum chance of losing money, at the same time able to produce slightly better return than fixed deposit.
On top of that, if you invest directly through their website called Opus Touch (URL: https://touch.opusasset.com/), you can enjoy 0% sales charge and 0% repurchase charge, which means that 100% of your money will be utilized to buy the fund, and none will be gone as sales commission.
The self-service Opus Touch website is pretty straight forwards to use. It can be accessed either from the web browser of your handphone, tablet or computer. It works flawlessly with Google Chrome.
You can open your master account there with an initial investment in IPF of at least RM1,000. Once your master account is successfully opened, you can invest in any of the 3 available funds there.
You can also perform up to 4 times of fund switching per year for free, after that there will be a charge of RM25 per switching of fund.
Note that there are annual management fee and annual trustee fee, accrued on a daily basis. Their rate is pretty low compared with other unit trust funds in the market:
- IPF: mgmt. fee <= 0.85%, trustee fee <= 0.025% or min RM12k
- MPF: mgmt. fee <= 0.35%, trustee fee <= 0.025% or min RM12k
- SIPF: mgmt. fee <= 0.85%, trustee fee <= 0.025% or min RM12k
One of the thing I like about Opus Touch is that you can invest by using either Boost e-wallet or FPX (bank transfer).
By investing with Boost, you can also enjoy Boost rewards such as the shake rewards, mission rewards, etc.
In addition, if you run Boost from ShopBack app, you can also earn some ShopBack cashback.
In addition, you can top up your money in Boost to be used for Opus unit trust investment from BigPay, which in turn topped up using your credit card.
As such, you can get multiple tiers of rewards by investing Opus unit trust online with Opus Touch, including:
- Credit card cashback or points
- BigPay BIG Points
- ShopBack cashback
- Boost rewards
- Unit trust returns