- Tomypak Holdings Bhd is the manufacturer of flexible packaging materials, polyethylene, polypropylene films and sheets in Malaysia. Its product includes Premium packaging, used for packaging powdered beverage, High barrier metalized packaging for packaging seasoning and powdered beverage, Hot fill packaging, for packaging mayonnaise and sauces, General packaging, used for packaging confectionery, instant noodles and snacks, and Specialty, used for packaging pet food and detergent.
- As at the end of FY 2019, the Tomypak Group operates out of two separate but complementary factories, a larger plant and head office in Senai Industrial Estate and also at its existing 4 acres leasehold land located in the Tampoi Light Industrial Estate, Johor. Total rated capacity as at end FY 2019 was 40,000 metric tonnes per annum.
- Both plants provide Tomypak with a total of 478,000 sq ft operational space and 50k metric tonnes per year, sufficient capacity to cater for the Group’s expansion strategies over the next 5 to 10 years.
- Tomypak completed its expansion in 2018. Although the new plant commenced operations in year 2019, the Group still experienced a drop in turnover, primarily due to a reduction in sales to some local customers and loss of a Philippines’ customer.
- During this pandemic, it has been observed that there has been a shift in the food and beverage consumption pattern. In fact, during the early stage of the MCO, the sales of packed F&B products sold were strong, as more people prepared home cooked meals. F&B producers, who are clients of Tomypak, were concerned of the need to ramp up supply and have placed more orders for packaging.
- This included forecast orders for the second half of year 2020.It is worth noting that during MCO period, the Group had to scale-down its operations during the early stage as per the conditions set by the authorities for them to resume operations. It also faced logistical challenges as ports were closed.
Before Covid, Tomypak is running at about 30% of its total capacity
only, indicating significant potential for future growth when it ramps
up its production as it has experience strong orders from local and
- A very clear indication of strong upcoming revenue (coming Nov result) from Tomypak’s recent AGM minute (19 Aug 2020) which can be accessed from the link http://www.tomypak.com.my/AGM%20Minutes%20With%20Key%20Matters%202020.pdf
- AGM Q&A: Q12